Our Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge kayak and SUP tour is the best way to explore this birder’s paradise. Pea Island is a small barrier island located at the northern end of Hatteras on the Outer Banks.
ROANOKE ISLAND TOUR
- Single Kayak • Adult Ages 13+
- Single Kayak • Child Ages 10-12
- Tandem Kayak • 2 Adults Ages 13+
- Tandem Kayak • 1 Adult & 1 Child Adult: Ages 13+ • Child: Ages 12 & Under
ENJOY A FUN & EDUCATIONAL ROANOKE KAYAK & SUP TOUR!
Outer Banks Kayak Adventures will enthrall you with stories of the first English settlers and fun facts about the surrounding wildlife on this fun and educational tour. We paddle along the scenic canals and marshes of Historic Roanoke Island. This tour has a midpoint that allows kayakers the opportunity to stretch their legs and walk along a small sandy beach.
The surrounding marshes are home to a wide variety of wildlife such as river otters, turtles, red-winged blackbirds, cormorants, and osprey. On a perfect day, we’ll catch a glimpse of this fascinating wildlife as we paddle through the marshlands. This hour and a half tour is the total package for outdoor enthusiasts looking for adventure and history buffs that enjoy learning about the vast and exciting history that the Outer Banks has to offer.
Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the best kayaking experience on the OBX. We use American-made Perception Kayaks, which are incredibly versatile, making them the top choice for beginner and intermediate paddlers. If you are new to kayaking and SUP (stand-up paddleboarding), fear not! Before each of our tours, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides a paddle lesson on land before you begin, ensuring that you and your group have the experience they need before paddling.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides paddles and life jackets. We use sit-on-top style hybrid kayaks for people with limited mobility, making it easier for you to get in and out. SUPs (Stand Up Paddle Boards) are also available on this tour.
Which Kayak is Right for You and Your Group?
- We recommend children 12 and under paddle in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult, but it’s not a requirement.
- If your child is ages 10-12 years old and you’re super confident in their kayaking ability, you can request that your child paddle a single kayak (please do so only if you’re certain your child can paddle the entire trip). Only put a child in a single kayak, If you are confident they can paddle for 1 1/2 – 2 hours by themselves.
- Unless requested otherwise, all children ages 12 and under will be placed in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult.
What to Bring
- Plenty of water and a snack if you’d like
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and/or a hat
- A towel for after the tour (you’ll want to leave it in your car)
- Shoes and clothing you don’t mind getting wet
- You may also want to consider insect repellent, a rain jacket if it might rain, and a dry bag
Use Google Maps: to Bowsertown Road, Manteo, NC. Watch for the signs leading you to the boat ramp. At the very end of Bowsertown Rd, turn left onto California Road. You’ll see a sign for the boat ramp parking lot on the right. (Follow signs for the boat ramp) Please be sure to arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the tour start time.
Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the best kayaking experience on the OBX. Before each of our tours, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides a paddle lesson on land, ensuring that you and your group have the experience they need before paddling.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the paddles and life jackets. We offer single and tandem (double) kayaks and we use sit on top style hybrid kayaks, making it easy for you to get in and out. Please be sure to select the number of tandem (double) kayaks you’d like for your tour when making the online reservation.
The Fine Print: All cancellations must be at least 48 hours before your scheduled tour for a refund. We paddle in the rain and the wind but not during thunderstorms. If we must cancel due to inclement weather, we will reschedule your tour or issue a refund. If you choose to reschedule and you don’t attend the tour for any reason without giving us notice before 48 hours of your tour, you will not receive a refund. You are expected to arrive at the correct tour location on time (we will send location details in your confirmation email). Late arrivals and no-shows will not be issued a refund. If you choose to cancel for any reason within 48 hours, there is no refund.