This is an abbreviated Kitty Hawk Woods Maritime Forest tour. The tour lasts about 1 hour and is the perfect length for younger children. This tour is also available to adults that prefer a shorter…
PEA ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE KAYAK & SUP TOUR
- Single Kayak • Adult Ages 13+
- Single Kayak • Child Ages 10-12
- Tandem Kayak • 2 Adults Ages 13+
- Tandem Kayak • 1 Adult & 1 Child Adult: Ages 13+ • Child: Ages 12 & Under
- Stand Up Paddleboard All Ages
CALLING ALL BIRD LOVERS!
If you’re a bird lover, then check out our Pea Island kayak tour! Witness the wide variety of unique and rare birds that can be seen as you paddle through this beautiful salt marsh of Pamlico Sound. Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge is located directly under the Atlantic Flyway, with an impressive list of 365 species of reported bird sightings. Depending on the time of year, there is a chance that you may see your favorite bird up close and personal.
Some of the common birds that can potentially be seen as you explore the waters of Pea Island are the Brown Pelican, Royal Tern, American Avocet, Blue Heron, White Egret, and the gorgeous White Ibis. If you aren’t a bird person, don’t worry. This small barrier island located at the northern end of Hatteras is also home to a wide variety of aquatic creatures, including Loggerhead Sea Turtles. As we move along the sound, the clear shallow water provides a fantastic view of Stingrays, Crabs, Sea Skates, and other marine wildlife.
As you tour the beautiful Pea Island, our expert guides will tell you all about the history of the island along with exciting facts about coastal ecology. Join us for a relaxing and beautiful Outer Banks kayak tour and see why Pea Island is a famous wildlife destination.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides paddles and life jackets. We use sit-on-top-style hybrid kayaks for people with limited mobility, making it easier for you to get in and out. SUPs (Stand-Up Paddleboards) are also available on this tour.
Which Kayak is Right for You and Your Group?
- We recommend children 12 and under paddle in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult, but it’s not a requirement.
- If your child is ages 10-12 years old and you’re super confident in their kayaking ability, you can request that your child paddle a single kayak (please do so only if you’re certain your child can paddle the entire trip). Only put a child in a single kayak, If you are confident they can paddle for 1 1/2 – 2 hours by themselves.
- Unless requested otherwise, all children ages 12 and under will be placed in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult.
What to Bring
- Plenty of water and a snack if you’d like
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and/or a hat
- A towel for after the tour (you’ll want to leave it in your car)
- Shoes and clothing you don’t mind getting wet
- You may also want to consider insect repellent, a rain jacket if it might rain, and a dry bag
Use Google Maps to Pea Island, Kinnakeet NC. Continue south past Pea Island Visitor Center approximately 3 miles. You’ll cross the New Inlet Bridge (aka Captain Richard Etheridge bridge) and about 100 yards after crossing the paved parking lot will be on the right hand side of the road at milepost 34. The mileposts are sometimes missing because of road construction so don’t rely solely on the milepost.
Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the best kayaking experience on the OBX. We use American-made Perception Kayaks which are known for being extremely versatile, making them the top choice for beginner and intermediate paddlers. If you are not very experienced with kayaking and SUP (stand up paddle boarding) fear not! Before each of our tours, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides a paddle lesson on land before you begin, ensuring that you and your group have the experience they need before paddling.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the paddles and life jackets. We offer single and tandem (double) kayaks and we use sit on top style hybrid kayaks, making it easy for you to get in and out. Please be sure to select the number of tandem (double) kayaks you’d like for your tour when making the online reservation.
The Fine Print: All cancellations must be at least 48 hours before your scheduled tour for a refund. We paddle in the rain and the wind but not during thunderstorms. If we must cancel due to inclement weather, we will reschedule your tour or issue a refund. If you choose to reschedule and you don’t attend the tour for any reason without giving us notice before 48 hours of your tour, you will not receive a refund. You are expected to arrive at the correct tour location on time (we will send location details in your confirmation email). Late arrivals and no-shows will not be issued a refund. If you choose to cancel for any reason within 48 hours, there is no refund.