This is our maximum adventure tour! Explore this unusual habitat and learn about its exotic wildlife. Alligators call this refuge home along with black bears and endangered red wolves.
KITTY HAWK MARITIME FOREST & MARSH TOUR
- Single Kayak • Adult Ages 13+
- Single Kayak • Child Ages 10-12
- Tandem Kayak • 2 Adults Ages 13+
- Tandem Kayak • 1 Adult & 1 Child Adult: Ages 13+ • Child: Ages 12 & Under
TRY OUR POPULAR KITTY HAWK KAYAK TOUR
Kitty Hawk Maritime Forest is an ideal Outer Banks kayak tour for young children and beginner paddlers. We paddle at a very relaxed pace. The trees surrounding the canal provide excellent protection from the elements, even on windy days, as well as shade from the heat from the summer sun.
We explore the Kitty Hawk Maritime Forest by way of Ginguite Creek. A rare and endangered habitat, the forest is home to abundant wildlife and intriguing native plants. On this lengthy yet delightful Kitty Hawk kayak tour, you might spot an egret standing along the shore or a river otter swimming across the creek. Geese, Osprey, Kingfishers, and majestic Bald Eagles are often spotted flying just above our watercraft. We usually see turtles sunning on logs as we paddle through the loblolly pine, live oak, and wax myrtle woods. This paddling tour is perfect for anyone who enjoys being surrounded by the beauty of nature.
Here at Outer Banks Kayak Adventures, we want to provide our customers with the best kayaking experience on the OBX. We use American-made Perception Kayaks, which are incredibly versatile, making them the top choice for beginner and intermediate movability. If you are new to kayaking and SUP (stand-up paddleboarding), fear not! Before each of our tours, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides a paddle lesson on land, ensuring that you and your group have the experience they need before paddling.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides paddles and life jackets. For people with limited mobility, we use sit-on-top-style hybrid kayaks, making it easier for you to get in and out. SUPs are available for anyone looking for a more advanced tour.
Which Kayak is Right for You and Your Group?
- We recommend children 12 and under paddle in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult, but it’s not a requirement.
- If your child is ages 10-12 years old and you’re super confident in their kayaking ability, you can request that your child paddle a single kayak (please do so only if you’re certain your child can paddle the entire trip). Only put a child in a single kayak, If you are confident they can paddle for 1 1/2 – 2 hours by themselves.
- Unless requested otherwise, all children ages 12 and under will be placed in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult.
What to Bring
- Plenty of water and a snack if you’d like
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and/or a hat
- A towel for after the tour (you’ll want to leave it in your car)
- Shoes and clothing you don’t mind getting wet
- You may also want to consider insect repellent, a rain jacket if it might rain, and a dry bag
The meeting place for the Kitty Hawk Maritime Forest Kayak & SUP tour is located at 4190 Bob Perry Rd, Kitty Hawk, NC. You’ll be making a right turn into the parking area and you’ll see a sign for the Kitty Hawk Recycling Center & Boat Ramp. This is the same parking lot you’re going to. You should plan to arrive 15 minutes early for your Outer Banks Kayak Adventures tour.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the paddles and life jackets. We offer single and tandem (double) kayaks and we use sit-on-top-style hybrid kayaks, making it easy for you to get in and out. Please be sure to select the number of tandem (double) kayaks you’d like for your tour when making the online reservation.
The Fine Print: All cancellations must be at least 48 hours before your scheduled tour for a refund. We paddle in the rain and the wind but not during thunderstorms. If we must cancel due to inclement weather, we will reschedule your tour or issue a refund. If you choose to reschedule and you don’t attend the tour for any reason without giving us notice before 48 hours of your tour, you will not receive a refund. You are expected to arrive at the correct tour location 15 minutes before the tour’s start time (we will send location details in your confirmation email). Late arrivals and no-shows will not be issued a refund. If you choose to cancel for any reason within 48 hours, there is no refund.