Our nighttime kayak tours give you the perfect opportunity to experience an Outer Banks full moon or bioluminescence in the water.
ALLIGATOR RIVER NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE TOUR
- Single Kayak • Adult Ages 13+
- Single Kayak • Child Ages 10-12
- Tandem Kayak • 2 Adults Ages 13+
- Tandem Kayak • 1 Adult & 1 Child Adult: Ages 13+ • Child: Ages 12 & Under
SEE ALLIGATORS & WILDLIFE UP CLOSE ON A RIVER KAYAK TOUR
Our Alligator River kayak tour is our maximum adventure tour! On this kayak tour, you’ll explore The Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge and its very unusual habitat to learn all about its exotic wildlife.
This wildlife refuge is home to alligators, bears, the rare and very endangered red wolf, and a variety of unique birds native to the inner banks. Alligators are shy creatures, but you can spot them in some of the canals or larger waterways of the refuge. Outer Banks Kayak Adventures expert kayak guides will lead you on a unique adventure, searching for these prehistoric creatures. It’s not unusual to find alligators in the water or lounging along the shore.
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge provides habitat to an extensive list of over 250 bird species. On our river kayak tours, we often see Prothonotary Warblers, Wood Ducks, Northern Cardinals, Killdeer, Red-bellied Wood Peckers, Hairy Wood Peckers, and Pileated Wood Peckers. The refuge is also home to the largest concentration of black bears on the east coast. Black bears are often seen roaming the tree lines, relaxing in the tall grasses, or climbing the pines.
While touring the Alligator River Wildlife Refuge, learn about the history of logging and moonshiners in this area, all while kayaking beneath grand bald cypress and loblolly pine trees. Our Alligator River kayak tour is an unforgettable experience you don’t want to miss! This tour is an excellent two-hour adventure suitable for beginner and experienced paddlers of all ages.
Which Kayak is Right for You and Your Group?
- We recommend children 12 and under paddle in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult, but it’s not a requirement.
- If your child is ages 10-12 years old and you’re super confident in their kayaking ability, you can request that your child paddle a single kayak (please do so only if you’re certain your child can paddle the entire trip). Only put a child in a single kayak, If you are confident they can paddle for 1 1/2 – 2 hours by themselves.
- Unless requested otherwise, all children ages 12 and under will be placed in a tandem (double) kayak with an adult.
What to Bring
- Plenty of water and a snack if you’d like
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and/or a hat
- A towel for after the tour (you’ll want to leave it in your car)
- Shoes and clothing you don’t mind getting wet
- You may also want to consider insect repellent, a rain jacket if it might rain, and a dry bag
GPS: Use Google Maps to: “Alligator River – Buffalo City kayak put-in”
Take 64W and cross the bridge to Roanoke Island. Stay straight and cross 2nd bridge, Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge. Continue 9.6 miles and look for a sign on the right for Buffalo City Rd. It will say: “Buffalo City Rd, Paddling Trails 2 miles”. Make the very next left (1/10 of a mile) onto Buffalo City Rd and continue approximately 2 miles to the end of this gravel road and you’ll see the put-in. Please be sure to park on the right-hand side of the road.
Please be sure to arrive 15 minutes prior to the tour start time.
Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the best kayaking experience on the OBX. We use American-made Perception Kayaks which are known for being extremely versatile, making them the top choice for beginner and intermediate paddlers. If you are not very experienced with kayaking and SUP (stand-up paddle boarding) fear not! Before each of our tours, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides a paddle lesson on land, ensuring that you and your group have the experience they need before paddling.
There are NO shoe or clothing requirements. Along with kayaks, Outer Banks Kayak Adventures provides the paddles and life jackets. We offer single and tandem (double) kayaks and we use sit on top style hybrid kayaks, making it easy for you to get in and out.
The Fine Print: All cancellations must be at least 48 hours before your scheduled tour for a refund. We paddle in the rain and the wind but not during thunderstorms. If we must cancel due to inclement weather, we will reschedule your tour or issue a refund. If you choose to reschedule and you don’t attend the tour for any reason without giving us notice before 48 hours of your tour, you will not receive a refund. You are expected to arrive at the correct tour location 15 minutes before the tour’s start time (we will send location details in your confirmation email). Late arrivals and no-shows will not be issued a refund. If you choose to cancel for any reason within 48 hours, there is no refund.